Strathallan was founded in 1913 by Harry Riley at Bridge of Allan. He began the School at Glenbrae with seven pupils. In 1920 he moved the School to the current site in Forgandenny with 120 pupils and a large staff. The boys were divided into three houses named Nicol, Freeland and Ruthven. In 1927 Simpson house was formed and after the war Leburn House was formed.
The introduction of a small number of girl pupils began in 1979 and was such a success that the School now has three girls’ boarding houses, Woodlands and Thornbank and Glenbrae.
Strathallan became a public School in 1935 through the support of former pupils, David Bogie and John Maitland-Cowan who became the first trustees. Harry Riley sadly died during the war and control was passed to a board of governors in 1945.
The post-war School has steadily increased in numbers and now ranks as one of the top independent Schools in Scotland and forms the heart of a wider community.