Our history

Strathallan was founded in 1913 by Harry Riley in Bridge of Allan, near Stirling. His ambition was to create a school where there would be opportunities for each individual pupil to excel, and that vision is one we hold true today.

With a swift rise in popularity, the School quickly outgrew its original premises and in 1920 it moved to its current site in Forgandenny, near Bridge of Earn, with just 120 boys. In those early days there were three houses, Nicol, Freeland and Ruthven. In 1927 Simpson House was created and after the war Leburn House was added (although this was demolished in 1990).

Strathallan became a public school in 1935 through the support of former pupils David Bogie and John Maitland-Cowan who became the first trustees. Harry Riley sadly died during the war and control was passed to a Board of Governors in 1945.

In 1979, Strathallan became the first independent boys school in Scotland to welcome female pupils. Nowadays around 45% of the student population are girls and there are three female boarding houses – Woodlands, Thornbank and Glenbrae.

Today Strathallan is a thriving and busy school known for the breadth of opportunities it provides and its beautiful campus. It welcomes over 500 boarding and day pupils from the local area, the rest of Scotland and the UK and over 20 countries around the globe. It is a flourishing school that continues to focus on providing a truly all-round education for all its pupils and has an excellent reputation across academics, the sports and arts and for its pastoral care. Its students go on to achieve exceptional results in careers around the world.

 

Find out more about Strathallan Alumni and our global network StrathConnect